Low level Laser Therapy
LLLT: Low level Laser Therapy
Also known as PhotoBiomodulation, Laser Therapy or “Cold” Laser Therapy This course is intended to familiarize one with the principles and mechanisms of LLLT. At the completion of the course you will be awarded a Certificate of Laser Training in Low Level Laser Therapy. This should be considered entry level training in this area, but allows you to get started safely and knowledgeably in this field. Importantly it will help clear up confusion regarding the commercial devices that may be available and make one a more informed buyer. Although basic cellular biology is discussed in this course, the basics are included only for reference and as background. This is a practical course, and is not an indepth cellular biology course. Some of the manufacturers will include this course with your purchase of their equipment. Our nonprofit group has no financial ties to any of the companies in this field, and this course is not oriented toward any particular company’s devices.
The course modules include the following topics:
1. Introduction and Overview Purpose of this Fundamentals course, differentiation between photobiomodulation and laser acupuncture, cautionary note about unsubstantiated claims for LLLT
2. Fundamentals of PhotoBiology Mechanisms of action and examples of common photobiological reactions .
3. Photophysics Conceptual physics, electromagnetic spectrum, types of lasers and wavelengths, non-laser light sources,
4. Basics of Lasers, Light, and Energy Concepts Dosimetry parameters including irradiance, radiant exposure, flux, wavelength penetration, pulsing and CW characteristics, delivery systems. Dose – radiant exposure vs total dose, parameters of spot size, power, pulse time and/or scan rates.
5. Types of Laser/Light Tissue Interactions Thermal including Selective Photothermolysis (aesthetic uses), Photoacoustic, Photdisassociation, Photochemistry (PDT), and PhotoBiomodulation (LLLT)
6. Light Sources & Commercially Available Devices Coherent vs. incoherent light sources and examples. Clarification of the confusion in nomenclature, methods, and labeling
7. Laser Safety And Regulations A.N.S.I. 136.3 Laser Safety Standards, differentiation of training and credentialing vs licensing, Laser Classification System, Eye Hazards, Other related Laser Hazards, A.N.S.I. based training requirements, Nominal Hazard Zones (NHZ) and Laser Treatment Controlled Areas (LTCA)
8. LLLT Applications—PhotoBiomodulation veterinary, wound healing, chronic pain, arthritis, sports injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome, low thyroid, diabetes, neuronal toxicity, nerve regeneration, stroke treatment, skin rejuvenation, hair growth
9. LLLT Applications—Laser “Acupuncture” Aid to Stop Smoking, and Weight Loss
10. Common PhotoBiological Reactions in LLLT Mtichondrial Respiratory Chain, Nitrous Oxide formation from UV light, Cytochrome C Oxidase, Cell Signaling and Redox State, etc.
11. Professional Associations and Recommended Reading (attachment at end of course)